Sunday, July 5, 2009

Seven Year Itch

It occurred to me that in my last seven years of my summers spent at the lodge and the last three of them that I have spent writing about them that I've never shared a picture of my actual cabin on the lake. With an eastern view of the lake from my screened in porch I am lucky enough to be awakened with every sunrise of the summer, cool breezes keep my screened in porch pleasant enough for afternoon naps and reading, and the flower boxes that I start each year keep the breeze full of intoxifying scents.

One of my favorite rituals of starting a new summer is the visit that I make with Jessi (our gardener extraordinaire and breakfast cook) to the Southshore Greenhouse. Kathy, owner of Southshore, always has something new for me to discover and with her help I am able to create some beautiful boxes to make my porch even more habitable then should be allowed.

Every summer brings a fresh color and scent explosion and the hues of summer number 7 are all pale greens, silvery grays, whites and purples. Very "Gray Gardens"! The boxes are filled with all sorts of delights ranging from the deep purple and green leaves of Sweet Caroline, white pom pom shaped clusters of Verbena, Superbells tickled with pink, soft gray-green Silver Licorice Vine with the texture of lambs ears, the intoxifying scent of Ginger Mint, Heliotrope (my favorite this year) and the Lady Plymouth Geranium with the smells of rose and ginger that grace the green and yellow leaves that need only the caress of the hand to bring its heady scent into action.
White Diamond Frost, looks like tiny orchids trailing on a soft green vine, silvery-gray Dusty Miller and Spider Flower Cleome complete the boxes that wouldn't be the same without them.

The indispensable Gator, our all terrain and all purpose gardening, grocery toting monster, helped me move them from the back of the car and before I knew it I was wrapped up in planting. There are few things that can beat the satisfaction of getting just the right amount of dirty when the results are so satisfying everyday, and with every step in and out of my porch.

A few years ago, when I decided that I couldn't imagine a summer with out a trip to "my" lake front cabin I started adding personal touches that became infectious amongst myself and the owners of the property. One of the first changes that I made was to turn the porch floor from its dirty, worn white into a mixture of color blocked stripes in light blue, pale green and gray. Lil, the owner was so impressed with the results that when she passed by the green wicker chairs she couldn't resist buying them for my newly appreciated porch. The porch wouldn't be the same without them and if I could have left the flowers in their individual containers, without the worry of wilt and malnutrition, I would have kept them just that way.

One of the major changes of this summer is that we have decided that it's time to start collecting our photographs and my recipes into a book. No title yet, but we have spent some time scouting for other places than the Point in which to take a few more photos. Of course Kathy's green house was one of the first places to visit. Her greenhouse is one of the most magical places in the world! Its the perfect mix of bloomers, foliage, vintage pieces and utility that I have ever experienced.
Every time I come here, I can't stop myself from wishing that the main thoroughfare through the green house was wide enough to house a long table for a once in a lifetime dining experience. Luckily for us, outside her greenhouse there are plenty of options for an evening dinner and I will share photos of those in the coming weeks.
It feels wonderful to start sharing my summers with you again! The seven year itch has yet to make its appearance! Eat Well!

3 comments:

yarrow y arlyn said...

You lucky girl! I'm living vicariously from my cube!

Unknown said...

And why come back to Orleans Parish??? Girl,you are breathing good freash air. Bottle it and bring it back for resale!

Class of 52 said...

You are better than Martha. I can visualize and smell and feel everything you write about. You write almost as well as you cook.