Monday, September 1, 2008

Cleaning out the Pantry...

We are nearing the end of our summer and my main goal is to utilize as much of my pantry staples as possible. I hate to buy too much for the summer and I take it as a personal challenge to throw as little away as possible. With Bobby's leftover Carrot Cake I made these Carrot Truffles.

Cake Truffles are super easy, you basically take your leftover cake, throw it in bowl and mash it up. I then shape the mixture using a small ice cream scoop, roll by hand to smooth and then pop in the freezer for a few minutes. They are best dipped fully in chocolate, but with my limited end of the year white chocolate supply I dipped only the tops and then in a mixture of toasted Coconut and finely chopped Walnuts. This recipe is really inspired by Bakerella's Blog, http://bakerella.blogspot.com/ ...her cupcake blog is a lot of fun.


For dinner this evening I cooked Rack of Lamb. Sorry for the "Meat Mountain" picture below, but in my haste to get the food out to everyone hot, my final dish pictures were not up to par. The meal was one of my favorites this summer, even though the summer weather is officially over we haven't been above 60 degrees for days.

The final dish consisted of a loose puree of Sweet, White Onion, and home grown Zucchini, Wilted Swiss Chard (also from the garden) the Lamb Chops and to finish it off a reduction sauce of Chicken Stock mounted with roast Garlic Puree, roughly chopped Nicoise Olives and fresh Marjoram.



For dessert...my favorite! Pavlova. This time around I rolled the soft baked Meringue around whipped Heavy Cream and chopped Cherries from our own trees. So divine, even the none dessert eaters had a piece and I had little to share with Jessi!

No comments: