Tuesday, October 7, 2008

A day at the Market...

I have had such a great time hosting the "Green Plate Special" at the Crescent City Farmers Market for the past few weeks. The weather has been a little bit more temperamental (meaning rainy, hot and humid) than I was expecting but my faithful clients and good friends have been more than supportive. The food has been well received and I am doing my best not to run out of all the goodies we have been dishing up!


Our farmers are reaching the heights of one the most productive seasons that we have here in Louisiana. The produce at the market has been out of control, in flavor and in beauty and I appreciate our year-long growing season with every bite I take! Coming into season right now is Okra, Green Beans, Eggplant (both traditional globe/Italian & Japanese), Collard Greens, Mustard Greens, Mizuna, Cucumbers, Green Onions, Yellow Squash, Green Peppers, & Zucchini. Mississippi is also in full Apple harvest mode and we still have our beautiful Creole Tomatoes since the weather has been holding hot and steady!


The Cucumbers lend themselves beautifully to all manners of salads but I've got pickles on the brain. I will share my pickle pictures and recipes in a future post, but for now I am concentrating on getting myself ready for a big, beautiful wedding cake and need to focus on Butter Cream, Cake Batter and Candied Citrus!


Our chalk board sign has been helping those of you who have been out to the Market decide which of our offerings you will enjoy! A big thank you to everyone that came out to the Farmers Market for the past two weeks, not only to support me while I melted under the Green Plate Special Tent, but also for supporting our local farmers and fishers! Hope to see you at the Market on Tuesday!






No comments: